Wednesday 1 January 2014

BOOK REVIEW - MY LIFE NEXT DOOR BY HUNTLEY FITZPATRICK



Author: Huntley Fitzpatrick
Genre: Contemporary
Release Date: June 14th 2012
Summary:  "One thing my mother never knew, and would disapprove of most of all, was that I watched the Garretts. All the time."

The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, messy, affectionate. And every day from her rooftop perch, Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them . . . until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs up next to her and changes everything.

As the two fall fiercely for each other, stumbling through the awkwardness and awesomeness of first love, Jase's family embraces Samantha - even as she keeps him a secret from her own. Then something unthinkable happens, and the bottom drops out of Samantha's world. She's suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself?

A transporting debut about family, friendship, first romance, and how to be true to one person you love without betraying another



What a cute book! I've been wanting to read this story for such a long time but as a person who usually reads on a Kindle, it was quite expensive on Amazon so I put off reading it until it went down in price. It didn't happen, of course. I took that as a sign that it's a good book so I was very pleased when I got myself a library card and saw this book. Free! Better than paying £10 on an ebook. When I picked it up, I realised why it was expensive - the book's a lot thicker and bigger than I thought! I was shocked but as I got into the story I was pleased. More story for me!

I whizzed through this very quickly. What I adored about this book was that it wasn't stuffed with unnecessary drama. That's one pet peeve for me as a reader, I hate it when authors need to just shove silly drama in there to make excitement or for a longer book. Huntley Fitzpatrick told this story well so she didn't need to add anything stupid in there. It was constantly entertaining and I fell in love with the characters so quick.

There was something I wanted to point out that I saw someone else note in their review and I completely agree, and it's how the author wrote a certain part of Jase and Samantha's relationship. How the author handled how the characters have sex was written so much better than most books I've read about couples at that age. What I love is that there was no pressure. They actually communicated about their feelings and thoughts, their worries and how to approach it. They actually went to the shop together to buy condoms. I mean, I think that's fantastic that Huntley Fitzpatrick put that in because it shows how responsible they are and that kids should do this. Jase and Sam didn't rush and they prepared. I admire and respect that she did that.

All the characters were great and with the Garrett family, I had a Weasley vibe going on. Big families to me are usually the best in novels. I was reading this wishing I was part of the family, and I especially love George. Adorable! Samantha's side of the story with her mother was great, even though I dislike her mother and that horrible man that is Clay, it was entertaining. The way Grace "interracts" and treats her daughter was horrible and I felt so bad for her, and her in this situation and what they went through made me love the Garretts even more.

Tim and Nan shocked me. I had no idea it would end like that! Nan completely taking Sam out of her life out of jealousy and Tim actually going from a drug addict and alcoholic to a fantastic friend to the Garretts and Sam was heartwarming. I do wonder if Tim ever got anywhere with Alice but in my mind after reading, I'll say they did. I'll pray for another book from Fitzpatrick for a second book! hint hint

I loved this book. A cute, light read for anyone who enjoys lovable characters, a sweet romance with a touch of added drama. Five stars.

--

QUOTES


“Is Jase already gonna marry you?”

I start coughing again. “Uh, No. No, George. I’m only seventeen.” As if that’s the only reason we’re not engaged.

“I’m this many.” George holds up four, slightly grubby fingers. “But Jase is seventeen and a half. You could. Then you could live in here with him. And have a big family.”

Jase strides back into the room, of course, midway through this proposition. “George. Beat it. Discovery Channel is on.”

George backs out of the room but not before saying, “His bed’s really comfortable. And he never pees in it.” 

****
“The Garretts were my bedtime story, long before I ever thought I’d be part of the story myself.”  - Samantha

****
“You okay? This okay?" 

I nod, pulling his hips more tightly to my own.

"Now we'll make it better," Jase vows, and begins to kiss me again as he starts to move in a rhythm. My body follows, unwilling to let him go, already glad to have him come back.”  - Jase and Samantha
****
“Our house contains all that’s high-end and high-tech and shiny clean. And three people who would rather be somewhere else.” 

**** 

No comments:

Post a Comment